Highlights and tour details
Orizzonte Monviso is a hiking ring of unique beauty and variety.
Precisely because of the richness of the environments it crosses, it is suitable for those who are looking for an extremely satisfying trek from many perspectives: in fact, it offers continuous cultural, artistic and environmental inspirations. Its treasured gem is the horizon that stands out like a painting in the eyes of those who set out on it: Monviso, which appears and disappears, which after a short climb or on the opposite side presents an unknown face, a new aspect, an unusual colour, an increasingly new magic. The walk will be a continuous discovery and the relatively small difference in height of the entire itinerary will make up for the length of some of the stages.
The ring of Orizzonte Monviso offers the hiker the possibility to approach the world of the high lands of the Po Valley by walking along the paths and gradually discovering its thousand faces. The municipalities of Sanfront, Paesana, Oncino, Ostana and Crissolo, link the itinerary through a dense network of paths that brushes villages and places far from the main known routes; well-maintained and marked paths that have the Stone King as the constant horizon of this exciting hiking ring.
Orizzonte Monviso is also an interesting offer for cyclists with a good physical preparation; the conspicuous presence of dirt roads and mule tracks on which the route is developed will certainly meet everyone's expectations. A large part of the ring can infact be covered in the saddle, with times and developments that can be modulated according to the ability and endurance of each person.
Points of interest
The Sanctuary of San Chiaffredo in Crissolo; Ostana, one of the "Borghi più Belli d'Italia", and the Civic Ethnographic Museum; the rock carvings of Bric Lombatera (Paesana) and Rocca La Casna (Sanfront); the Po, the longest river in Italy; Monviso, the highest peak of the Cottian Alps (3841 m).
The accommodation facilities of Sanfront, Paesana, Crissolo and Ostana of the list below; Un Po di sosta ai piedi del Monviso camper parking area, Paesana (http://www.unpodisosta.piemonte.it/).
Motorway A6 TORINO - SAVONA, exit at the tollbooth of Marene; turn left on to the SS 662 in the direction of Savigliano, carry on to Saluzzo, then the directions from Saluzzo for Valle Po along the SP 26 or the SP 260; Motorway A21 TORINO – ALESSANDRIA – PIACENZA, exit at Asti est – continue to Alba- Bra- exit at Marene - Savigliano - Saluzzo - Valle Po (SS 662); from TORINO, take the Tangenziale, exit at Pinerolo on the SP 161 then take the SP 27 for Barge, Paesana.
Source: Unione Montana dei Comuni del Monviso
Itinerary code: OMV
Phone coverage: Good coverage in the centres of Sanfront, Paesana, Oncino, Crissolo and Ostana; possibile less coverage on several stretches of the itinerary.
Recommended period: Spring, sumer and autumn, but also in the winter with snowshoes as it is not exposed to th erisk of avalanches
Historical interest: Yes
Devotional interest: Yes
Access by public transport: Yes
Classification: Medium and low mountain provincial
Provinces crossed: Cuneo
Notes on public transport
Departure, arrival and municipalities crossed
RIF. ESC. LA VIA DEL SALE
12030 Sanfront (CN)
Cuneosee on map
- Orizzonte Monviso (74,89 km)
- Orizzonte Monviso - Stage 1: Hiking refuge La via del sale - Hiking refuge Pian Munè (15,88 km)
- Orizzonte Monviso - Stage 2A: Pian Muné hiking refuge - Croce Tournour crossroads (Paesana) (8,34 km)
- Orizzonte Monviso - Stage 2: Hiking refuge Pian Muné - Hiking refuge Lossa (13,08 km)
- Orizzonte Monviso: Stage 1A Paesana - Crossroads at 1435 m (Pian Muné) (8,84 km)
- Orizzonte Monviso - Stage 3: hiking refuge Lossa (Oncino - Fraz. Serre) - Crissolo (9,86 km)
- Orizzonte Monviso - Stage 4A: Crissolo - Frazione Borgo (2,52 km)
- Orizzonte Monviso - Stage 4: Crissolo - Hking refuge La Galaberna (5,90 km)
- Orizzonte Monviso -Stage 5: Hiking refuge La Galaberna - Borgata Ferrere (8,50 km)
- Orizzonte Monviso - Stage 6: Borgata Ferrere - Loc. Colletta (9,81 km)
- Orizzonte Monviso - Stage 7 Loc. Colletta - Hiking refuge La Via del Sale (11,86 km)