Highlights and tour details
The itinerary of the Grande Traversata della Valsesia (G.T.V.) consists of 11 stages that cross the entire territory of Alta Valsesia. It starts from a high altitude path from the Bocchetta della Boscarola in the Province of Biella with connection to the GTB (Grande Traversata del Biellese) and the Sentiero Dolciniano trail of the Municipality of Scopello and arrives at the Bocchetta di Campello in the Municipality of Rimella which allows the connection with the VCO in the municipality of Valstrona (hamlet of Campello Monti) where the GTA meets.
The stages are divided as follows:
From Alpe Mera, you can reach Alpe di Meggiana, and then the support point of Alpe Toso in Val Sorba in the municipality of Rassa.
From Alpe Tosi you continue through the Gronda Pass to the Alpe Salei support point.
From here to the Giare lakes in Val Artogna, and Alpe Maccagno. Then you descend the Maccagno valley in Valle Vogna to Alpe Peccia where the private hut/refuge Prato della Croce is located.
From Alpe Peccia you go to Alpe Larecchio and then reach the Ospizio Sottile Refuge.
From here, a more challenging route (EEA) reaches Lago Nero and the summit of the Corno Bianco and then down to the Tailly lakes and the Ravelli Bivouac.
(Alternatively, from Alpe Peccia it is possible to reach Riva Valdobbia, Alagna and Valle Otro with an overnight stay at the Zar Senni refuge. From here you go to Alpe Pianmisura and then the Foric Pass to reconnect to the main route).
You descend along the Val d'Otro to the Alpe Pianmisura where you climb up to the Foric pass connecting to the Vallone d'Olen which then descends to the Bocchetta delle Pisse and from here to the Rifugio Pastore at Alpe Pile.
From the Pastore Refuge you go to the Barba Ferrero Refuge and then continue towards Alpe Faller and Colle del Piglimò to reach the Vallè Refuge in the Municipality of Alto Setmenza.
Short stage but with a more demanding passage between the Colle del Vallè and Colle della Bottigia (EEA) to reach the Massero refuge in the Municipality of Carcoforo.
From the refuge you reach Carcoforo and then climb up the Col d'Egua (there is an alternative at high altitude) and from here the Alpe Baranca Refuge in the Municipality of Fobello along the GTA Great Crossing of the Alps (Grande Traversata delle Alpi)
From Alpe Baranca you go to Alpe Res di Fobello to reach the Obru Huusch Refuge in the hamlet of Rimella Roncaccio Superiore.
From the Obru Huusch Refuge to the Bocchetta di Campello and Val Strona
Source: Ente per la Gestione delle Aree Protette della Valle Sesia
Itinerary code: GTV
Classification: Provincial with high mountain development
Provinces crossed: Biella Valsesia Vercelli
Departure, arrival and municipalities crossed
13028 Scopello (VC)
Vercelli see on map
13020 Rimella (VC)
Vercelli see on map
- Great Crossing of Valsesia (GTV) (113,20 km)
- Grande Traversata della Valsesia (GTV): Stage 1 Bocchetta della Boscarola - Alp Toso (14,70 km)
- Grande Traversata della Valsesia (GTV): Stage 2 Alp Toso - Alp Salei (7,60 km)
- Grande Traversata della Valsesia (GTV): Stage 3 Alp Salei - Hamlet of Peccia (12,50 km)
- Grande Traversata della Valsesia: Stage 4 Hamlet of Peccia - Ospizio Sottile at Colle Valdobbia (4,70 km)
- Grande Traversata della Valsesia: Stage 5 Ospizio Sottile to Colle Valdobbia - Don Luigi Ravelli Bivouac (10,30 km)
- Great Crossing of Valsesia: Stage 6 Bivouac Don Luigi Ravelli - Pastore Refuge at Alpe Pile (14,30 km)
- Grande Traversata della Valsesia (GTV): Stage 7 Pastore Refuge at Alp Pile - Vallè Refuge (14,80 km)
- Grande Traversata della Valsesia: Tappa 8 Rifugio Vallè - Rifugio Massero (4,00 km)
- Grande Traversata della Valsesia: Stage 9 Massero Refuge - Baranca Refuge (11,80 km)
- Grande Traversata della Valsesia: Stage 10 Rifugio Baranca - Rifugio Obre-Huusch (8,90 km)
- Grande Traversata della Valsesia (GTV): Stage 11 Obre-Huusch Refuge - City of Borgomanero Refuge at Alp Pianello (8,10 km)