Accomodations and services

Cattedrale dei Santi Pietro e Paolo

Pictures (1)
Map

The current facade dates from the 19th century, but the origin is medieval, as witnessed by the small Romanesque sculpture in the corner on the left, which, according to tradition, depicts Gagliaudo Aulari (in truth it is an Atlas). After the destruction of the old Cathedral by Napoleon, the Church of San Marco, a convent church, was chosen to become the new cathedral, extending and restoring it according to the taste of the time. Inside, the Cathedral now presents the uniform appearance given to it in 1874-9 by the architect Edoardo Arborio Mella from Vercelli, decorated in 1926-9 by Luigi Morgari. The works of art preserved in the chapels, albeit of different eras, witness the deep popular faith of the residents of Alessandria: the 15th century wooden Crucifix to the right of the entrance, followed by the tender 14th century painting of the Madonna dell’ Uscetto and by the sculpture of the Beata Vergine della Salve (15th century). Patron of the city, to mark her spring celebration, she is carried in procession to the song of 'Salve Regina'. Pride of the Alessandria people is above all the imposing bell tower at the side of the church, one of the highest in Italy with its pinnacle topped by an iron cross which reaches a height of 106 m.

Address and contacts
piazza Giovanni XXIII, 1
15121 Alessandria (AL)
Alessandria

Telephone number: +39 (0131) 442.620 +39 (0131) 512.239
email: beniculturali@diocesialessandria.it
Links
http://www.diocesialessandria.it