Highlights and tour details
The Via Geoalpina of the Val Grande National Park is part of an international project that aims to disseminate knowledge about earth sciences such as geology, geomorphology, hydrology, natural hazards or the use of stone through signposted routes that raise interest among tourists and hikers about the history of the formation of the Alpine chain and the secrets of the earth.
The itinerary strengthens and enhances the network of historical and environmental routes that innervate the system of hiking in the VCO and Upper Novara area on one part, and on the other, the north-eastern ridge of the Sesia Val Grande Unesco Global Geopark, which lies within the territory of the National Park and the surrounding areas from the Italian-Swiss border to Campello Monti in Valle Strona. Travelling along the Via Geoalpina, in addition to enjoying an extraordinary variety of landscapes and mountain environments, you will also come across two important stretches of geological interest (set up with thematic information panels) such as the Pogallo Line, in the homonymous valley, and the so-called "Serie dei Laghi" along the ridge of the Cadorna Line from Pian Cavallo to Zeda.
The itinerary then joins both the initial stretch of Falmenta-Gurro and the final point of Campello Monti on stages of the Great Crossing of the Piedmontese Alps (GTA) and can effectively constitute a variant of extraordinary interest to reach Lake Maggiore from Valle Sesia.
- Via Geoalpina (92,90 km)
- Via Geoalpina: Stage 1 Cursolo - Rifugio di Pian Vadà (19,40 km)
- Via Geoalpina: Stage 1A Piancavallo - Pian Vadà (13,90 km)
- Via Geoalpina: Stage 2 Pian Vadà Refuge - Alpe Curgei (8,50 km)
- Via Geoalpina: Stage 3 Alpe Curgei - Alpe Pian di Boit (10,70 km)
- Via Geoalpina: Stage 4 Alpe Pian di Boit - Alpe Scaredi (9,50 km)
- Via Geoalpina: Stage 5 Alpe Scaredi - Alpe La Colma (12,10 km)
- Via Geoalpina: Stage 6 Alpe La Colma - Vogogna (13,10 km)
- Via Geoalpina: Stage 7 Vogogna - Campello Monti (19,60 km)
Source: Ente Parco Nazionale Val Grande
Itinerary code: VGP
Phone coverage: partial
Classification: Medium and low mountain provincial
Provinces crossed: Distretto dei Laghi