Highlights and tour details
Departing from Usseglio in the hamlet of Crot (1298 m) you reach the hamlet of Margone (1457 m) along the ordinary road network. From the village square you can see the signs that guide you towards path no. 118, which climbs in a northerly direction until it intersects path no. 111B (1803 m). The Decauville or Tracciolino path runs along the former narrow-gauge railway built by ENEL at the beginning of the 20th century to manage the hydraulic works of the hydroelectric reservoirs. This route is easy to cover thanks to its gentle and constant gradient. However, it is necessary to point out the presence of a section in a tunnel excavated in the rock where it might be useful to have a headlamp, and three stretches of crossing small streams on rock slabs. The two most exposed crossings are equipped with safety cables to support the passage, but it is good to pay attention to any rainfall that may quickly increase the water flow. Sometimes, there may be ice in cold weather. This section of the trail is one of the most suggestive of the itinerary thanks to its panorama and historical-cultural value. The section ends by reaching the road just before Lago di Malciaussia (1805 m) and the Malciaussia plateau with its large artificial lake surrounded by numerous peaks over 3000 m, including Rocciamelone. This is also where the last stage stop-off point is located at Rifugio Vulpot.
- Trek: Calcante (TC) (99,50 km)
- Trek Calcante: Stage 1 Lanzo T.se Ponte del Diavolo - Traves (14,00 km)
- Trek Calcante: Stage 2B Cappella della Consolata - Alpe Longimala (7,60 km)
- Trek Calcante: Stage 2C Alpe Longimala - Frazione Tornetti (18,60 km)
- Trek Calcante: Stage 2 Traves - Frazione Tornetti (18,40 km)
- Trek Calcante: Stage 2A Colle Cialmetta (Bivouac) - Chapel of the Consolata (12,70 km)
- Trek Calcante: Stage 3 Frazione Tornetti - Frazione Crot (GTA stop-off point) (16,90 km)
- Trek Calcante: Stage 4 Frazione Crot (GTA stop-off point) - Lago di Malciaussia (10,80 km)
Hotel Ristorante La Furnasa Via XXIV Maggio 16, 10070 Usseglio +39 0123 83747 - +39 0123 83788 email@example.com www.ristorantehotelfurnasa.com. Vulpot Hiking Refuge, Malciaussia, 10070 Usseglio +39 0123 83771 firstname.lastname@example.org www.rifugiovulpot.com. Open: from June to September.
Source: CAI Lanzo
Itinerary code: TKC
Recommended period: From May (June if there is a lot of snow above 2000 m) to October.
Historical interest: Yes
Disabled facilities: No
Classification: Medium and low mountain provincial
Provinces crossed: Torino