Highlights and tour details
The Giro del Marguareis was created in 2006 following an initiative of the Alta Valle Pesio and Tanaro Natural Park, which later became the Marguareis Park and of the refuge managers of the protected area. It is a beautiful ring-shaped trek around the two main peaks of the Ligurian Alps, immersed in the karst kingdom, where pastures as far as the eye can see are interspersed with vertical limestone walls. And then sinkholes, furrowed fields and expanses of white, almost lunar rocks. Since the karst terrain absorbs water, there are no lakes or watercourses at high altitudes; however, at the bottom of the valleys the underground hydrographic networks come to light, not infrequently with spectacular resurgences.
The official route consists of five stages, but the presence of numerous variants allows you to easily change it according to your needs: you can opt for longer or shorter stages, do only the ring around the Marguareis Massif or around Mongioie, with durations ranging from two to five days. If the classic departure is from Pian delle Gorre, in Valle Pesio, Carnino or Viozene in Valle Tanaro can also be suitable places to start trekking.
The best period to do the Giro del Marguareis coincides with the opening period of the refuges, from mid-June to mid-September. Depending on the year, it is still possible to encounter snow on the passes in June while, compatibly with the opening of the facilities, there are no problems until mid-October.
- Giro del Marguareis (65,00 km)
- Giro del Marguareis: Tappa 1 Pian delle Gorre - Rifugio Garelli (7,26 km)
- Giro del Marguareis: Stage 2 Garelli Refuge - Mondovì Refuge Havis De Giorgio (4,53 km)
- Giro del Marguareis: Tappa 3 Rifugio Mondovì Havis de Giorgio - Rifugio Mongioie (10,75 km)
- Giro del Marguareis: Stage 3a Mondovì Refuge - Mongioie Refuge (12,21 km)
- Giro del Marguareis: tappa 4 Rifugio Mongioie - Rifugio Don Barbera (10,45 km)
- Giro del Marguareis: Tappa 5 Rifugio Don Barbera - Pian delle Gorre (18,02 km)
Pian delle Gorre, Garelli, Mondovì, Mongioie, Don Barbera refuges
Itinerary code: GDM
Classification: Provincial with high mountain development
Provinces crossed: Cuneo
Departure, arrival and municipalities crossed
Pian delle Gorre
12013 Chiusa di Pesio (CN)
Cuneosee on map