Highlights and tour details
The walk leads to the basin of glacial origin which is home to Lake Pistono. Along cobbled roads and ancient trails that wind between vineyards and chestnut woods, it is possible to admire the castle of Montalto.
The “Variante del Maggio” trail branches off at the foot of the castle and leads to one of the most interesting vantage points of the Morainic Amphitheatre of Ivrea (30 min – 0.60 km – 90 m altitude difference).
- ACL: Anelli dei 5 laghi (20,00 km)
- ACL Stage 1: Chapel of San Pietro Martire - Regione Bacciana (4,50 km)
- ACL Stage 2: Frazione Tomalino - Crossroads at Lago Nero (5,30 km)
- Anelli dei Cinque Laghi: Stage 3 Cascina Tonino - Poggio Montresco (4,10 km)
- Anelli dei Cinque Laghi: Stage 4A Castello di Montalto - Monte Crovero (0,60 km)
- ACL Stage 4: Montalto Dora - Cascina Rocco (3,00 km)
- Anelli dei Cinque Laghi: Stage 5 Equipped area - Crossroads near Lago Campagna (2,50 km)
Points of interest
The zone of the 5 lakes has been permanently settled by all the major prehistoric civilisations of the Padano-Alpine community. Close to Lake Pistono, there are many traces of the Neolithic period, including square mouth vases and various stone tools. A flint arrowhead, preserved at the National Artillery Museum in Turin, is the testimony of commercial traffic already existing in that distant period: flint was imported from France, as it did not exist in the Western Alps.
Itinerary code: ACL
Provinces crossed: Torino