Highlights and tour details
The Anelli dei Cinque Laghi (Rings of the Five Lakes) of Ivrea, propose a series of routes aimed at making an area of the Morainic Amphitheatre of Ivrea known that is of great naturalistic, historical and recreational importance.
- ACL: Anelli dei 5 laghi (20,00 km)
- ACL Stage 1: Chapel of San Pietro Martire - Regione Bacciana (4,50 km)
- ACL Stage 2: Frazione Tomalino - Crossroads at Lago Nero (5,30 km)
- Anelli dei Cinque Laghi: Stage 3 Cascina Tonino - Poggio Montresco (4,10 km)
- Anelli dei Cinque Laghi: Stage 4A Castello di Montalto - Monte Crovero (0,60 km)
- ACL Stage 4: Montalto Dora - Cascina Rocco (3,00 km)
- Anelli dei Cinque Laghi: Stage 5 Equipped area - Crossroads near Lago Campagna (2,50 km)
Points of interest
Among the historical buildings in the area, of particular note are the Castle of Montalto Dora and the Castle of San Giuseppe. Both buildings are of great interest because of their geographical position: perched on two of the highest sheepback rocks in the area, they are visible from a great distance and enjoy an incredibly vast panorama of the Morainic Amphitheatre of Ivrea. The Castle of Montalto as it appears today is the work of Giovanni, Andrea and Antonio de Jordanis, feudatories of Montalto starting from 1403, who built the walls, excluding garrets, and the interiors, incorporating the pre-existing buildings - the keep, the chapel and the bell tower around 1414. The first documented mention of the existence of the castle dates back to 1202. In the early 1300s it was ceded to the Count of Savoy and became one of the major operational centres for strengthening Savoy power in Ivrea and throughout the Canavese area. The castle is now privately owned. The Castle of San Giuseppe, a strategic military point since Roman times, was built in the 17th century as a spiritual brotherhood of the Theresian Brothers and the Discalced Carmelite Brothers: it was fortified by Napoleon I during his campaign in Italy and became a romantic hermitage for the composer Arrigo Boito and the famous actress Eleonora Duse. Scattered in the middle of the woods or on the edge of the inhabited centres there are numerous votive shrines and chapels, evidence of religion closely linked to the territory. The real botanical rarity of the area is Italian buckthorn, an evergreen shrub typical of the Mediterranean maquis, the first and only finding of this species in Piedmont. We must also remember the Gladiolus, the common Spike-rush, the Dogtooth violet and the Purple mullein as well as two rather rare ferns: Royal fern and Hard fern. There are also about ten species of orchids, the rarest being the Mediterranean long-lipped serapias. Among the fauna, the small Pelobates Fuscus toad, one of the two European amphibians to appear on the red list of endangered species, and a butterfly, Assmann's Fritillary, compete for the title of rarest. The splendid Southern Festoon and the protected Large Copper and Jersey Tiger are also among the rare butterflies.
Motorway tollbooth of Ivrea A5 Motorway Turin-Aosta (at 8 km)
Itinerary code: ACL
Access by public transport: Yes
Provinces crossed: Torino