Campo Ligure – Sassello: pedalling in Beigua Park
3 DAYS / 2 NIGHTS
Three days by bike to discover a breathtaking corner of the Ligurian Riviera: the Beigua Park UNESCO Global Geopark and magnificent inland villages.
Thanks to the presence of a network of cycle paths it is possible to realise a ring route with departure from Varazze, coastline town, to discover the Beigua Park UNESCO Global Geopark. A magnificent way to move slowly and sustainably to appreciate the territory which surrounds you and discover two enchanting villages, an orange flag, Sassello, unique for its culinary excellence such as the amaretti and the porcini mushrooms and one of the most beautiful villages of Italy Campo Ligure famous for the well-known silver filigree.
On the bike section of day 2 (from Sassello to Campo Ligure) you will cycle over one of the “Great Cycling” routes. The Giro d’Italia passed through here in 1997 during the 12th stage La Spezia-Varazze.
From Varazze to Sassello (approx. 27 Km)
- Departure from Varazze. (If necessary, it will be possible to rent the bike). It is possible to park the car in a large free car park close to the town hall.
- The route starts from the town hall of Varazze (Viale Nazioni Unite) and winds along road SP542 which connects Varazze to Sassello, an historic village situated in the heart of the Park of Beigua. Climbing the River Teiro valley, you reach Pero (hamlet of Varazze), then Teglia and Stella San Martino. From the small main square of Stella San Marino you can enjoy a breathtaking view of the coast. Continuing along SP542, you will reach Stella Santa Giustina and after a series of uphill hairpin bends you will reach the watershed reaching Giovo Ligure, a stunning scenic point. From here, the ride will be easier, covering primarily flat and downhill stretches, immersed in chestnut woods, to reach Sassello.
- Free time to appreciate this magnificent village. We recommend a visit of the historic centre, an aperitif in the many bars, a tasting of amaretti or local products and a visit to the information point of the Park of Beigua "Centro Visita di Palazzo Gervino" (times and prices on www.parcobeigua.it) to discover the natural and geological features of Sassello which will leave you pleasantly surprised.
- Dinner based on local produce at BeiguaDocks.
- Overnight stay in 3* hotel
From SASSELLO to CAMPO LIGURE
LENGTH 40 KM
DIFFERENCE IN ALTITUDE 768 M
MINIMUM ALTITUDE 299 M
MAXIMUM ALTITUDE 745 M
SUITABLE FOR ROAD/GRAVEL BIKES
- Breakfast in accommodation facility and departure by bike
- From Sassello, take the road SP64 to reach initially Pale and then La Carta (hamlet of Sassello), pedalling you reach Urbe with San Pietro d'Orba. Continuing, immersed among thick woods, you reach Tiglieto, worth visiting as it is home to the first abbey built by Cistercian monks outside the French borders in 1120. It is possible to take a relaxing stroll outside the Badia to admire its architectural beauty (info for guided tours inside the Badia on www.parcobeigua.it). The plain of Badia, in addition to the beautiful abbey, is home to a Romanesque bridge over the river Orba, also worth stopping at.
- From the Badia, the road continues uphill to reach the top of the town of Tiglieto, always along SP64. At the top, the downhill stretch begins immersed in the bare rocks of the valley crossed by the River Gargassa. The road downhill shows totally different scenery from that encountered before to reach the town of Rossiglione, first town of Liguria on the border with Piemonte, immersed in the Stura Valley. Cycling on flat ground, along the River Stura, you will reach your final stage, the town of Campo Ligure.
- Lunch at leisure.
- Afternoon at leisure, to discover one of the "Most beautiful villages of Italy" Campo Ligure. Located 30 km inland from Genoa, it is characterised by several features which make it unique: the medieval castle of Spinola, in a dominant position to control the village; the elegant Romanesque bridge over the Stura; the Spinola palace with its magnificent painted facade; the typical narrow streets of Liguria and the artisan shops; the Filigree Museum which exhibits and houses two hundred objects from all over the world.
- Admission to the Filigree Museum: treasure trove of an ancient art which has one of its international capitals here. Each piece present in the Museum encapsulates the traditions and economy which have made Campo Ligure unique. Campo Ligure is one of the key European centres for the production of filigree. This goldsmith art lies in the work of very fine threads of precious metal to produce objects with a light and refined
- Visit to a workshop that produces filigree.
- Admission and guided tour of the Castle (approx. 1 hour and 15 minutes)
- Dinner at leisure and overnight accommodation in B&B or apartment.
From CAMPO LIGURE to VARAZZE (approx. 40 Km)
- Breakfast in accommodation facility and departure by bike.
- From Campo Ligure, pedalling along the River Stura, following SP456, you will reach Masone. Having crossed the town, the uphill road beings and you will have to reach Passo del Turchino. Having reached it, the road goes downhill once again! Past the Passo Turchino, you reach Fado and then the town of Mele, and continuing downhill you will reach Voltrì, the westernmost district of
- It will be the moment to “close” the ring route along the coast road. From Voltri, along the SS1, in a westerly direction, accompanied by magnificent views of the sea, you will meet Arenzano, Cogoleto and finally Varazze, the final stage of your ring route. Arrive to Varazze and end of services.
Price per person from:
€ 210,00 (groups of 2 pax)
No, on request (with supplement)