The Via Francigena in the Canavese area
Romanesque churches and castles
The Via Francigena, which comes from France, is a great historical-cultural route that has linked Great Britain to Roma since the Middle Ages. The route of the Via Francigena passes through large cities and small remote centres in the countryside, crossing ancient villages and hamlets, with their Romanesque churches.
During this one-day trip we focus on a stretch of the Via Francigena that crosses Piemonte and in particular the Canavese: coming from Valle d’Aosta, it passes through the moraine amphitheatre and enters the Po Valley.
Departures in the morning from Torino and Susa with the tour leader of Effatà Tour. Transfer to Chiaverano (7 km) and visit of the 11th cen. Romanesque church of Santo Stefano di Sessano. Transfer to Bollengo (6 km). Hike on the Via Francigena to Roppolo (15 km). Along the way, we stop for a light lunch with tasting of typical products. Visit to 10th cen. Roppolo Castle. Return to the starting point. End of services.
Rates / Supplements
Price per person from:
€ 190,00 (groups of 6 pax)
€ 260,00 (groups of 4 pax)
The price includes:
• Tour leader (speaking Italian, English, French, Spanish, German, Russian, Chinese) present during the entire period of the trip
• Transport by minivan (seating 7-9 people) to the locations indicated in the program. The minivan has a combustion engine. For a surcharge, participants may travel “green” with transport in an electric minivan. See the “Any Supplements” section for more information.
• Tickets: Chiaverano (Chiesa di Santo Stefano di Sessano and "medieval garden"), Roppolo (Roppolo Castle)
• “Light” lunch at a restaurant, agritourism, farm, with local products.
• Local taxes, VAT
The stages on foot are optional (minivans are available), without particular difficulties, require no specific experience but participants must be in good physical shape. They take place on secondary asphalted roads, dirt roads, easily passable trails.
Meditations and insights
Along the way there will be rest stops enriched by meditations, organised by Effatà Tour, taken from the stories of pilgrims’ journeys, studies by historians and medieval documents. The “Via Francigena” becomes an opportunity to practice a path of spirituality and experience the hike as an interior journey
During the transfers, the Effatà Tour guide introduces and comments on passages read aloud, music, and audiovisual projections, helping participants to appreciate artistic, historical, spiritual and cultural aspects of the “Via Francigena” in the Canavese area.
The price does not include:
• Mandatory individual paperwork management fee: €25. Includes individual cost of handling paperwork and Axa insurance policy for medical expenses. Please contact Effatà Tour to consult the terms and conditions of insurance
• Travel cancellation insurance (optional). It is possible to take out a “Cancellation” insurance which allows you to cancel the trip. Please contact Effatà Tour to request a personalized cancellation insurance quote.
• Tips to drivers, local guides, restaurant / hotel service staff
• Drinks during meals, personal expenses in general
• Supplement for specific dietary needs: to be defined according to the participant's requests
• Tickets and excursions not in the program
• Procedures and fees for the entry visa (for participants from non-EU countries)
• Anything not indicated under “The price includes”
Green travel with eco-sustainable mobility
It is possible to use a reserved minivan with an electric motor during all scheduled transfers (for an extra charge. For 6 participants: €30 per participant. For 4 participants: €50 per participant)
Families, Groups, Individuals
Via Tre Denti 1
+39 0121 353452