Cycle routes

L'anello del Bosconero

Torre Mondov (50 km)
Loading...
Highlights and tour details

The woods between Vicoforte and Garessio have earned this name, since the days of the Carthusians of Valcasotto, precisely because the second branch of the Roa Marenca passed through them, from Moline to Ormea, passing through Colle Termini, in Val Corsaglia. In addition, it was black because dense and infested with highwaymen. Today the road is easy to transit and rich in evidence of the past. From the Moline “toll gate”, you return briefly to Torre Mondovì entering Provincial road SP35 in the direction of MONTALDO as far as the hamlet of “ROAMARENCA”. Even before you arrive to the village, a fresco of San Giovanni, directly on the road, and the 10th century hermitage (or rather the home of the hermits, now well signposted) of St. Ambrose, with a delightful fresco, suggest that you are entering an ancient world. The vineyards, which overlook the village, confirm this: they are of the rare “Cardin” variety, ancient progenitor of many Piedmontese vines, present today only here! A short visit on foot along the lanes of the ancient village will allow you to discover stone arches of the ancient Jewish ghetto. Do not miss a visit to the “capital” of Montaldo, to its magnificent open-air ARCHAEOLOGICAL SITE, with a cantilevered walkway, all well explained: a true rarity! Crossing the village, a modern garage in piazza “Gabella” is the only sign that remains of the horrid transit taxes on goods that also gave way to the Salt War (1680-99), against the greed of the Savoy family, who deported the entire population of Montaldo to the area of Vercelli!

Points of interest

 

ATTRACTIONS

The chapels of Torre Mondovì

Oratories, churches, chapels and isolated crosses are all indicated using a cross-shaped symbol on military maps. Highlighting these symbols and taking as reference the territory of any of the residential communities in the Monregalese Valleys, the visitor will find a considerable presence of sacred buildings. Undoubtedly, their presence will be higher inside residential centres and in the immediate surroundings, while isolated constructions will be found in the woods or in the open countryside: churches, chapels and pillars populate our territories to design a landscape that is not random but rather has developed according to residential needs. This is also shown by the fact that these constructions are rarely the result of projects that are accomplished immediately and unequivocally. Instead, they take form through the continuation of modifications, expansions and variations made at different times and each characterised by different approaches to construction, artistic ideas and space requirements.

The Municipality of Torre Mondovì and its hamlets are characterised by the presence of different churches, chapels and votive pillars belonging to different eras (starting from 1400). In their structure and ornamentation, they clearly show the development principle described above, making visible the alternation of different styles throughout the centuries.

St. Anthony’s Chapel
St. Anthony’s Chapel
St. Gotthard’s Sanctuary
St. Gotthard’s Sanctuary
Church of Saints Bartholomew and Placido
Church of Saints Bartholomew and Placido
Parish Church of the Assumption
Parish Church of the Assumption
St. Helen’s Chapel
St. Helen’s Chapel
Chapel of Madonna del Pilone
Chapel of Madonna del Pilone
Church of Saints Luigi and Carlo
Church of Saints Luigi and Carlo

Montaldo Mondovì

The name Montaldo appears for the first time around 1000 on a document of the German Emperor Henry III that mentions the “Hermitage of St. Ambrose known as Montaldo”. In 2012, the archaeological area of the settlement of the Iron Age and of the 13th century medieval castle was inaugurated.

Departure, arrival and municipalities crossed
Departure and arrival
piazza Umberto Mellino, 1
12080 Torre Mondov (CN)
Cuneo
see on map
districts passed through
Montaldo di Mondov, Torre Mondov

Accomodation and services

Loading...
Albergo della Ceramica
Cuneo | Hotels and tourist residences
Albergo della Ceramica
For more than two hundred years, the characteristic profile of the roofs tells the story of this ancient building in the centre of Villanova Mondovi, in the shade of centuries-old fir trees and looking towards the medieval citadel of Villavecchia. It is the history of the ceramics of Mondovì and …
open accommodation information | see on map
Albergo Miramonti
Cuneo | Hotels and tourist residences
Albergo Miramonti
A place where the pace of life slows down, let yourself be carried away by the beauty of the landscapes and savor the best flavors of the territory: the Hotel Miramonti of Frabosa Soprana - buen retiro where guests' relaxation has become a family affair - is simply this. The 48 rooms contribute to …
open accommodation information | see on map
Villa Durando
Cuneo | Bed & Breakfast
Villa Durando
This ancient historical residence of the Army General Giovanni Durando has been renovated to the smallest detail by the Giaccone family, combining modern comfort with history. Inside the villa, there is a games and TV room, gym and internal library for adults and children; outside, there is a …
open accommodation information | see on map